Vacancy for a Skipper
Pilgrim of Brixham is the oldest surviving sailing trawler built and rigged in the port of Brixham. She is a 22m/90ton wooden gaff rigged ketch built in 1895 which underwent a major restoration in 2009/12. Since 2013 she has been cruising the coasts of Dorset, Devon and Cornwall and visiting the Channel Islands, Brittany and the isles of Scilly. Pilgrim is MCA coded (CAT2) for a total of 15 (passengers and crew) and typically accommodates 10-12 guests. Cruises vary from day sails, B&B weekends, short-breaks and holidays. We are not a sail training organisation. We believe guests should be encouraged to participate in sailing activities whenever possible to enhance the overall enjoyment of their time aboard.
Pilgrim is owned and operated by a registered charity – the Pilgrim Heritage Sailing Foundation. We are seeking to recruit a permanent full time skipper with experience of large gaff-rigged sailing vessels to be based in Brixham. We need a skipper to sail Pilgrim with flair and who inspires the ships company, is able lead on training for volunteers and guest crew. We usually operate from May-September with maintenance and any refit work taking place in the off season.
Salary: Negotiable dependent on qualifications and experience.
Qualifications and Experience Required:
- RYA Yachtmaster Offshore (Sailing) Commercially Endorsed
- Full ENG1 or ML5 Medical Fitness Certificate
- RYA Cruising or Yachtmaster Instructor (preferred)
- Previous experience of gaff-rigged vessels required
- Previous experience of sail training required
- Excellent communications, and social skills with crew, guests and volunteers
- Team player able to organise, motivate and co-ordinate volunteer supporters
- Ability to work and interact effectively with volunteer Trustee Leadership Team
- Experience in a similar role desirable
Informal exploratory visits welcome. Applications close 11th January 2019. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in January and any contracts concluded will be subject to on-board assessment, satisfactory references and satisfactory completion of an enhanced DBS check. A detailed job description is available here. Informal enquiries via email to email@example.com
Applications can be made online here and CV’s can be uploaded as part of the online application process. Applications can be part completed, saved and completed prior to submission as required.
Vacancies for Honorary Trustees
The Foundation is a registered charity and currently has vacancies for Honorary Directors and Trustees. Further information is available here.